Cherry picking is a popular attraction for area residents. (See cherry picking in Beamville) But if you live in The Bench you might have too many cherries in your fridge right now. Try this easy-to-make cherry barbecue sauce recipe from TasteofHome.com.
For a healthier sauce substitute the ketchup for tomato paste and the brown sugar with stevia.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen dark sweet cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 20 minutes until sauce is thickened. Stir occassionally.