Christmas and New Year’s Day holidays fall on Friday this year, so Niagara Region said waste collection will be delayed by one day on those days.
Waste collection services on Friday, Dec. 25, Christmas Day, and Friday, Jan 1, 2021, which is New Year’s Day, will be delayed by one day. Garbage, blue box, grey box, and green bin collection will be delayed by a day to the next day, Saturday.
Below is the schedule for curbside collection during the holidays:
- Friday, Dec. 25 changes to Saturday, Dec. 26
- Friday, Jan. 1 changes to Saturday, Jan. 2
The Region said that in the weeks following Christmas Day and New Year’s Day, all households may put out two extra bags or cans of garbage without a garbage tag on their curbside collection day for garbage.
Here are the areas and dates impacted:
- Dec. 28 – Jan. 2: Fort Erie, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Pelham, St. Catharines, Thorold, Wainfleet and West Lincoln
- Jan. 4 – 8: Grimsby, Lincoln, Niagara Falls, Port Colborne and Welland
All materials must be at the curb by 7 a.m. on collection day.
For industrial, commercial, institutional and multi-residential buildings (no greater than three storeys) within a Designated Business Area that receives collection on Saturday and/or Sunday (St. Catharines and Niagara-on-the-Lake), collection on Saturday or Sunday remains unchanged.
Christmas Tree Collection
Christmas tree collection this year will be Jan. 11 through Jan 15, 2021
- Place tree at the curb by 7 a.m. on your regular collection day
- Remove all ornaments and decorations
- Christmas trees wrapped in plastic, buried in snow, or placed on top of snow banks will not be collected.
- Do not dispose of artificial trees using these special collection days
Special collection weeks such as holiday collection and Christmas tree collection are included in your address specific schedule in the regions web and mobile app. View the address specific calendar or download the Niagara Region Waste mobile app from the Apple or Google Play stores.
For more information visit Waste Management online or contact the Waste Info-Line at 905-356-4141 or Toll-free 1-800-594-5542, Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. excluding Christmas and New Year’s Day.