The Niagara Region has doubled fines in newly designed community safety zones in Grimsby, West Lincoln, and other Niagara school areas on regional roads.
While driving in these designated areas, the rules of the road do not change, but fines for violations, such as speeding, are doubled. The strategy is to reduce speeding and distracted driving.
The zones selected have safety concerns or an elevated number of complaints near sensitive areas such as schools, retirement homes, and daycares.
When choosing a site, the Region looked at the number of safety and speeding complaints at a location. They also considered the percentage of students and families walking to and from school in the zone. And they also used speeding study results and number of violations.
Community safety ones are designed to improve the safety of drivers and pedestrians in the area. New signs will alert drivers that they are entering and leaving zones where the Highway Traffic Act has been modified.
The new zones become effective Sept. 8 coinciding with the first week of school. Police enforcement in the zones starts the week of Sept. 21.
Last year, the Niagara Region tested the zones at two schools on regional roads, but have now added 10 more locations.
All the zones are outlined below. Click the links for maps of the zones.
Lincoln community safety zones
- Twenty Valley Public School, Victoria Ave. (Regional Rd. 24) from Frederick Ave. to King St. (Regional Rd. 81).
- Length: 1.20 km
West Lincoln community safety zones
- John Calvin School, Station St. (Regional Rd. 14) between Spring Creek Rd. and West St.
- Length: 1 km.
- Smithville District Christian High School, Townline Rd. (Regional Rd. 14) between Harvest Gate and Canborough St.
- Length: 0.75 km.
Grimsby community safety zones
- Blessed Trinity Catholic Secondary School, Livingston Ave. (Regional Rd. 514) between Roberts Rd. and Patton St.
- Length: 1.80 km.
- Park Elementary School, Main St. E. (Regional Rd. 81) between Nelles Rd. N/Nelles Rd. S and Barlett Ave.
- Length 1.80 km.
More community safety zones in the Niagara Region:
- Welland: Alexander Kuska KSG Catholic Elementary School, Rice Rd. (Regional Rd. 54) between Quaker Rd. and Woodlawn Rd.
- Length: 1 km.
- Niagara Falls: Greendale Elementary School, Montrose Rd. (Regional Rd. 98) between Watson St. and Lundy’s Ln.
- Length: 0.78 km.
- Our Lady of Victory Catholic Elementary School, Central Ave. (Regional Rd. 124) between Gilmore Rd. and Bertie St. in Fort Erie.
- Length 0.8 km.
- Niagara-on-the-Lake: Crossroads Public Elementary School, Niagara Stone Rd. (Regional Rd. 55) between Concession 6 Rd. (roundabout) and Four Mile Creek Rd. in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
- Length: 1.50 km.
- St. Catharines: DSBN Academy, Louth St. (Regional Rd. 72) between Rykert St. and Pelham Rd.
- Length: 1 km.
- St. Catharines: St. Ann Catholic Elementary School, Main St. (Regional Rd. 87) between Martindale Rd. and Johnson St.
- Length: 1.10 km.
Niagara Region staff and Niagara Regional Police will launch an education and awareness week from Sept. 8 to Sept. 20. Enforcement will begin the following week.